Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Gifts

I have spent the last 2 weeks making gift card holders from a pattern in Fon's&Porters Easy Quilting -Winter 2008.

I have always been very timid when it comes to starting something new with my fabrics because I do not like to cut things up (pretty funny that I would choose quilting as a new hobby.) However, my friend Kathy has given me box after box of fabric that she no longer wanted and there are many beautiful pieces in there that are not really to my color tastes, but work beautifully for gifts, so I started with those pieces. I used some of my fabric for the lining since Kathy's boxes did not have a lot of solids, and for two particular friends I bought fat quarters because I was looking for something very specific.

Each gift card holder took me about four hours to hand quilt and complete. I know that they would have gone a lot faster with machine quilting, but I enjoyed thinking about each recipient while hand quilting each one and while not particularly praying over them like you would when you make a prayer shawl, I was thinking about their lives and wishing them well.

I forgot to take pictures before I gave them all away, but L did put a close up of hers on her blog.



I am already thinking about what I will make next year. I think I already know what L and M will get. I actually got the idea from a newsletter that M gave me when she gave me my Christmas gift.


1 comment:

Loni said...

I so love this little gift card holder.. right now it has all my Christmas gift cards in it... that way they don't get misplaced.. or somehow forgotten in my regular wallet.

I know it was stitched with love and that makes it all the more special.